General instructions by mod type and source for Vortex mod manager.
- For Bethesda.net mods use a Bethnet specific profile in your mod manager just to download mods with and then install them into your gaming profile to prevent some mods from being disabled by the in-game menu.
- Install and run SMM before workshop mods requiring it to prevent failed installs.
Workshop Mods & SMM
If you are installing a workshop mod requiring Settlement Menu Manager (SMM)
- install SMM first
- run the game
- create a hard save
- exit to desktop
- install the workshop mod
This will prevent failed installs due to broken workshop menus. See Workshop Menu Locations below to find where the mod installed to in the workshop menu.
Install from Cloud, Discord, Manual Nexus, etc.
- Download mod locally to a spot you want to keep mod backups
- Install from archive/file depending on mod manager (see below for details)
- Enable and sort your mod to the right location
Install from local file (downloaded manually) - Vortex
If you've downloaded a file locally to your hard drive from a cloud service, from Discord, manually from Nexus, or other location, you will need to install from the local file (video link jumps to the exact time):
Install from Bethesda.net
- Enable profiles for Vortex and create a Bethesda only profile
- On webpage for the mod select "Add to Library" button
- Use Bethesda specific mod manager profile to run the game with
- Go into "Mods" option in the in game "Main Menu"
- Find the mod in "Your Library" & download/install
- Exit game and move install into your external mod manager of choice with your main gaming profile (see below for details)
Install from Bethesda.net with Vortex
Install and use the plugin for managing Bethnet mods in Vortex and import the mod into Vortex.
(click link for animated gif* to show how import works)
*animated gif file created by and property of Nexusmods.com
Workshop Menu Locations
- Do It Yourshelf: Furniture Menu
- Creative Clutter: Main Menu
- Modular Kitchen: Furniture Menu
- Most other mods inject to the Main Menu