General instructions by mod type and source for Nexus Mods Manager (NMM).
- Install and run SMM before workshop mods requiring it to prevent failed installs.
- Use the latest Community version of NMM.
- If mods are disabled after running the in-game mod manager to acquire Bethesda.net mods: use a separate NMM profile to download Beth.net mods.
Workshop Mods & SMM
If you are installing a workshop mod requiring Settlement Menu Manager (SMM)
- install SMM first
- run the game
- create a hard save
- exit to desktop
- install the workshop mod
Install from Bethesda.net
Install from manual file
- Zip the files if needed (such as Bethnet install--see above video starting at 2:45)
- Install from archive using Green + sign (see above video starting at 3:55)
Mod File Names
Mod file names from Bethesda.net will all start out the same way. You'll have ModName.esp (or esl/esm) and archives such as ModName - Main.ba2 or ModName - Textures.ba2. There may also be an ini file such as ModName.ini. You'll want to include ALL file names that are related to a specific mod when installing in NMM.
Workshop Menu Locations
- Do It Yourshelf: Furniture Menu
- Creative Clutter: Main Menu
- Modular Kitchen: Furniture Menu
- Most other mods inject to the Main Menu